PDtax
PDtax, CPA, MBA
Experience:  Tax professional and business consultant for 35 years.
64119565

My 401k dropped from 110k to 86k in less than 6 mos. what

Customer Question

my 401k dropped from 110k to 86k in less than 6 mos. what should I do
Category: Finance
Expert:  PDtax replied 10 months ago.

Hi Judith. I'm PDtax. I'll assist.

Unless you need the money quickly, I would say you don't need to do anything. I'm fact, this is a buying opportunity for the long term. Here's why:

Expert:  PDtax replied 10 months ago.

The causes for the market decline are not US driven. Chinese stock market turmoil, the price of oil and market over reaction do not mean that your investments all of s sudden are bad investments. None of those things are going to last long, and investments in good companies that make money will return to or exceed prior levels.

The key of to keep an eye on the finish line. If someone told you in October that you could buy stocks at a 20% discount on January, that would have been great news. New investments will do better, and the price of oil will go back up once the excess supply is removed from the market.

My take on oil is based on reduction of supply, especially in the US by driving shale and fracking oil out of the marketplace. Once those small operators are out of the market, absorbed by ExxonMobil and others, pool will bounce back. And with it your investments.

Just be patient, and continue to invest for the long term. It's not the easiest advice to take, but the best advice.

Expert:  PDtax replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.