Lev
Lev, Tax Preparer
Experience:  Personal Investment, Tax Preparation
870116

How can I get my nephew on Medicade? When he was born s

Customer Question

How can I get my nephew on Medicade? When he was born his mother was in HARD labor for over 36 hours. This has hindered him in the intellligence area of his brain. He does work, but only manual type labor at which it takes a whole month's salary to pay for his health insurance. He is 62 years old at this point and if it were not for the fact that he lives with his mother who takes care of him he would be out on the street. Now no one wants to admit there child is "slow". but, he is. My sister is 92 years old. I doubt that her time to take care of him grows shorter every year. My niece works at a very demanding job and has not had time to pursue this problem. I will appreciate anything you can do to help in this manner. I will talk to my sister and niece with what info you can give me and they will follow up in the State of South Dakota.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Qualification for Medicaid depends on personal income and circumstances - for instance on age, disability, etc.
To file an application - the person need to visit a local office of the Department of Social Services

Just click on your location and you will see the address and contacts of the office convenient for you.

http://dss.sd.gov/findyourlocaloffice/sdmap.aspx

You may also call and make an appointment at _605_773_3656 or _1_866_854_5465_

.

Medicaid is a state and federally funded program providing medical coverage for individuals who meet certain eligibility guidelines. If you are eligible, Medicaid acts as your insurance company and pays for the cost of medically necessary services such as visits to the doctor, hospital, dentist, specialist, etc. These services are subject to cost-sharing by the enrolled individuals.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

The Affordable Care Act of 2010 creates a national Medicaid minimum eligibility level of 133% of the federal poverty level

See here

https://www.medicaid.gov/medicaid-chip-program-information/by-topics/eligibility/downloads/2015-federal-poverty-level-charts.pdf

($15,654 for a single person in 2015)

.
I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.