Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Non-profit dissolving this year. Had accrued wages that have

Customer Question

Customer: Non-profit dissolving this year. Had accrued wages that have to be written off. Should I put this as an individual donation?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: There is no cash to pay the accrued wages. We need to write off the liability. Can we make the offset entry revenue from the individual?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Finance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

...

When you reverse an accrual, you debit accrued expenses and credit the expense account to which you recorded the accrual.

..,.

This is just an adjusting entry.

...

This is similar to the adjusting entry that needs to be made at closing (year-end)

...

At closing, the expense accounts will be reset to a zero balance but your accrued expenses will not. The reason for this is related to the difference between balance sheet accounts and income statement accounts.

...

Let me known if you have questions