Lev
Lev, Tax Preparer
Experience:  Personal Investment, Tax Preparation
870116

I have a home office and host business meetings in my home.

Customer Question

I have a home office and host business meetings in my home. Can I claim as business deductions various home improvement items such as a renovated bathroom (for business guests to use), office decor, office furniture, and updated flooring in common areas?
After all, a good image is necessary to attract and maintain business relationships with solid clients/partners...
Category: Finance
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

When you deduct expenses related to the business use of your home - there are certain requirements.

To deduct expenses for business use of the home, you must use part of your home as one of the following:

1. Exclusively and regularly as your principal place of business for your trade or business
  2. Exclusively and regularly as a place where you meet and deal with your patients, clients, or customers in the normal course of your trade or business; or
  3. A separate structure used exclusively and regularly in connection with your trade or business that is not attached to your home
  4. On a regular basis for certain storage use
  5. For rental use
  6. As a daycare facility

When the bathroom is used for business and personal purposes - exclusive requirement is not satisfied and none of related expenses are deducted.

However if that bathroom is exclusively used for business purposes - related expenses may be deducted.

Correspondingly expenses related to common areas that are used for both purposes - business and personal - may not be deducted.

Sorry if you expected differently.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate if take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.