Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Where are the daily open and close price currency pair and

Customer Question

Where are the daily open and close price for any currency pair and forex market?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

First, as you likely know, The opening prices for the week are the initial trading prices on Sunday and the closing prices (for the week) arethe last trade on Friday. However, over the course of the week, there really are no closing prices for the forex as there is at least one market open at some place in the world at all times.

...

However as you likely know an article may state how the U.S. dollar closed down against the Canadian dollar during trading on Wednesday (a currency pair, the price being quoted is the closing price for an individual market within the forex market.
...

Becasue of the existance of the three major markets and several sub-markets ... - North America, Asia and Europe - and within each there are several forex markets. In North America, the main market is in New York, in Asia it is in Tokyo and in Europe it is in London.

...

There are many other individual markets within these regions that are part of the forex market too, and each individual market has an open and close (i.e. does not trade 24 hours a day). The New York market, for example, trades from 8am EST until 3pm EST. In North American media, the closing price will often refer to the closing price of the New York forex market.

...

SO, although these quotes give financial-media users a sense of the current market, the quotes are not as accurate as the actual current market price. For any forex trader, the best forex closing price to use is the closing price of his or her transaction.

...

That being said, you can get these approximations...

...

http://forex.tradingcharts.com/quotes/major_pairs.html

http://www.cmegroup.com/market-data/delayed-quotes/fx.html

http://www.fxstreet.com/rates-charts/forex-rates/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok maybe my question was not enough precise and may explain why I got a wide range answer.I already know all of these website and real-time forex price.
I order to set up my new forex trading strategy, I need to know the difference between the open and closing for any market. Lets say new York. and any particular market, lets say usd cad.
I can have a look at the candlestick closing for any particular time but it would be nice to have it as a tab file. if you are aware of any that I am not.Thanks
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

No I do not... other than the historical archives i referenced ... and again, you'd have to build it, and the updating of that data may not serve your purpose.

...

I think that this is something you'll have to capture and then build into a spreadsheet or rel. database file

...

Sorry