Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I was on s.s. disability since 2004. i became 65 this

Customer Question

i was on s.s. disability since 2004. i became 65 this November so i automatically went on regular s.s. My husband had to go on s.s. disability due to m.s. in the mid 2000. my husband died in may of 2009. i was given survivors benefits since may 2009 to date. i received a letter from s.s explaining my benefits for 2016 but it said nothing about would i would receive for my survivors benefit. i have read through the book about survivor benefits but i don't get it. i have had a stroke & my thinking process is just not it was before. can you help me with this question? i did talk to someone at the s.s.office. he told me it wouldn't make a difference but since then i heard everything that i no longer get anything to i get only a percentage. do you need my s.s # please let me know. thank you. susan nevada hildebrant
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question

Everyone gets only one benefit --- and that's the largest benefit available to you. They are just calling it a certain type of benefit, but you are getting the largest available to you

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.