Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Financial Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

I run a business from my home. I do graphic design, printing

Customer Question

I run a business from my home. I do graphic design, printing and mailing services. I have several clients that W9 me each year.. the issue is that, Of the total invoice that I send them throughout the year, a very small portion of it is profit for me (mostly just the design fees and a tiny bit of the printing fees), the majority of it is costs of the postcards printing and mailing. But when they send me the 1099-Misc.. If I use those to do my taxes it shows as income for me? How to I fix this?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

There's really nothing to fix. They are doing the correct thing by sending you 1099s (not W9s).

This doesn't cause you any problem as the costs of all those supplies, printing & postage are expenses that you deduct on your Schedule C when you report for income tax purposes. So, those expenses will offset the portion of those items that have been included on your 1099; you only include the NET income on the Schedule C in your taxable income.

Does that make sense to you or do you still have a question?

.

Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

May I clarify anything for you?

If not, please remember to rate my response as that is the only way we receive credit for our work.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com