Lev
Lev, Tax Preparer
Experience:  Personal Investment, Tax Preparation
870116

I am currently receiving medicaid in New York vity. I began

Customer Question

I am currently receiving medicaid in New York vity. I began receiving social security in February 2015...a monthly check of $1381
In calendar year 2015 my gross income will $15191
I am single and 63 years old.
My question is do I still qualify for Medicaid?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

The Affordable Care Act of 2010 creates a national Medicaid minimum eligibility level of 133% of the federal poverty level .

Specifically for 2015 - see here -

http://www.medicaid.gov/medicaid-chip-program-information/by-topics/eligibility/downloads/2015-federal-poverty-level-charts.pdf

So - for a single person the threshold is 15,654.10 and you do qualify.
However you should be either disabled or above 65 to qualify.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

.

However... the Affordable Care Act expands coverage for the poorest Americans by creating an opportunity for states to provide Medicaid eligibility for individuals under 65 years of age with incomes up to 133 percent of the federal poverty level (FPL).

Specifically for NY - see eligibility requirements here for different categories

https://www.health.ny.gov/health_care/medicaid/publications/docs/gis/14ma029att.pdf

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

As we see - New York set increased income and asset limits for its Medicaid program and many more low income people under age 65 who do not have Medicare qualify for expanded Medicaid.
Specifically - the income limit is set to 138% of the federal poverty level or $16,105 a year for 1 person.
So while you might not qualify under federal rules - you still may qualify under NY expanded Medicaid program.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate if take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.