Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial and Legal Consultant
Experience:  Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years
43581946

I have just started driving do I need abn

Customer Question

I have just started driving for uber do I need abn
Category: Finance
Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 1 year ago.

Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for providing an opportunity to assist you.

YES.. CERTAINLY. I would strongly advice you to get ABN and also register for GST. I will explain why I am suggesting this.

You must be aware that

Dear Friend,

You must be aware that ATO has asked to obtain ABN and obtain GST registration as well. UBER has appealed against this ruling. You, as a Uber Driver, should take a note of the point that Uber have advised drivers at this stage not to apply for an ABN or register for GST, while they challenge the ATO’s decision. However the penalties and consequences fall on you, not Uber, if you fail to meet your tax obligations.

So, coming to your point, YES, you should get your ABN while driving for UBER.

I am sure this would help..

You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as this is the only way we are compensated for assisting you. Alternatively, you may revert back with a reply if you need further assistance or if I have missed out on any aspect of your question.

Warm Regards,