Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Can I take the 2 year exemption as a home owner to avoid the

Customer Question

Can I take the 2 year exemption as a home owner to avoid the capital gains tax? We have lived in our home for 25 months, before that it was rented full time. My husband and I are both over 65 yrs. old.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

There IS an exclusion of he gain ... but because the home was rented there is a Modified (less than complete) exclusion o the gain

..

let me get the regs for you ... just a second

...

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Normally hen homeowners sell their main home, they exclude $500,000 of the capital gains on sale from income tax. T

...

But the 2008 Housing assistance act modified the rules.

...

Now, the amount of profits from the sale of a house that can be excluded is based on the percentage of time when the house was used as a primary residence.

...

It works like this...

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

If the property wasn't used used as a primary residence during the entire five-year period (of the"2 out of five test" ... living in the home in any 24 months out of the last five years before sale) the you have a period of what IRS calls "disqualifying use."

...

There's a ratio that's used in the relatively new law to show hoe much of the gain cannot be excluded (must be reported as capital gain)

...

The portion of capital gains that cannot be excluded is determined by the following ratio:

Period of non-qualifying use / Period of ownership

..

So let' say that you bought the home in 2000, rented for 5 years, but then (as you mention DO qualify for under the principal residence test)

...

The amount of the gain that you would have to include as TAXABLE gain would be 5/15 = 33%

...

So let 's say that you had a gain of 100,000 on your sale ... you would have to include 33,000 as a capital gain on your taxes for the year of sale

...

Long-term gains and qualified dividends taxed at

• 0% if taxable income falls in the 10% or 15% marginal tax brackets
  • 15% if taxable income falls in the 25%, 28%, 33%, or 35% marginal tax brackets
  • 20% if taxable income falls in the 39.6% marginal tax bracket

....

Please let me know what questions you may have from here

...

Lane

...

If this HAS helped, and you If you don't have additional questions on this, I'd appreciate a positive rating (by clicking the stars or smiley faces on your screen) ... that's the only way I'll be credited with a portion of what you've paid JustAnswer.
...

Lane

.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

….

I'm just checking back in to see how things are going.

….

Did my answer help?

….

Let me know…

….

Lane

...