Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
5242771

Family member (sister) has applied in Oklahoma. Has very

Customer Question

Family member (sister) has applied for Medicaid in Oklahoma. Has very serious health issues and has been in a rehab hospital for several months. Is being denied Medicaid coverage since she and her husband paid $ 10,000 two years ago for a bail bond for their son (accused of DUI). She and her husband declared bankruptcy last year. Bond money is likely to be returned (so I understand), but would clearly be part of bankruptcy estate -- so not owned by her or her husband. Apparently her bankruptcy lawyers failed to file a lien to get the money back, mostly for their own fees (I am getting all this third hand!).
Does she and her husband have to find the funds (likely as a gift from me and my other sister) to pay the rehab hospital, before Medicaid would come in and start paying the hospital?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Anne replied 1 year ago.

Hi

I'm Anne. I've been preparing taxes for 27 years, and I'll be happy to help you.

I have linked you to a OK web site re: bankruptcy in general, so that you can have your specific questions answered (these answers will be regarding OK bankruptcy laws. You can find out if a motion can still be filed to amend the bankruptcy to include the bond money, or if not, how best to handle this) Here is the link:

http://www.oknb.uscourts.gov/court-info/oknb-faq

If you have additional questions, please post them here and I'll be notified.

If this information has helped you, please rate positive (smiley faces or stars)

It is only through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge

Thank you for using justanswer.

Expert:  Anne replied 1 year ago.

I see that you have read my answer, but not yet rated it.

Did you have additional questions, or did you need more information?

Please remember that it is only through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge