Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Financial Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

Can you tell me on a balance sheet does common stock,

Customer Question

can you tell me on a balance sheet does common stock, retained earnings, current earnings (loss) shareholders distribution do they change yearly or quarterly on a balance sheet?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

That would depend upon the transactions during the accounting period you are referring to. For example, if the Company were to issue common stock, then the common stock amount would change. Generally if the financial statement presentation employs an "current earnings (loss)" presentation on the balance sheet, then that amount would change whenever a financial statement was prepared; that account would be used rather than closing the profit or loss to the retained earnings account which probably only changes annually when the "current earnings (loss)" account is closed to retained earnings. Shareholder distributions would change anytime there was an actual cash distribution to shareholders during the period covered by the financial statements.

So, the bot***** *****ne is that there's no hard and fast rule to go by; they all depend upon the actual activity during the period covered by the financial statement.

Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any questions or comments or may I clarify anything for you?

If not, I would appreciate it if you would take a moment to rate my response as that is the only way we get credit for our work.

Thanks very much for using JustAnswer.com