emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

My (former) fiancé is moving out. We both worked but

Customer Question

My (former) fiancé is moving out. We both worked but couldn't afford daycare or find any that would work with our irregular hours including nights and weekends. I and my 2 children have Medicaid and my (former) fiancé work(ed) at a place that allowed one of us to be with the children while the other worked. (I earned under $9000.00 last year and only myself and the 2 children qualified for Medicaid) Since he is leaving and I won't be able to work, will Medicaid drop us? Also my youngest child's biological father has finally been found and after the DNA test comes in he will put her on his insurance. The other child's biological father is denying the child is his and we are scheduled for a DNA test. This man is in and out of jail, has no job and will not be able to help. He wants me to agree to let him give up his rights. Will we be dropped from Medicaid and food stamps. We live in South Carolina and I think they refused expanded Medicaid. Sorry for the long question but I am scared. Thank you!
Category: Finance
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Medicaid, just like food stamps or other state assistance is need based, which means you will become ineligible when your income goes up, not when you loose income or your financial situation worsen.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Here's link to SC Medicaid Frequently asked questions:

https://www.scdhhs.gov/faqs

Let me know if you have any questions. I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if you found my answers helpful, a Positive Rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.