CGCPA
CGCPA, CPA
Experience:  40+ years experience in taxes and financial planning
50756543

My husband owes a lot of Tax. I own one house myself and we

Customer Question

My husband owes a lot of Tax. I own one house myself and we own one together. I don't want my house taken. Should I get a divorce?
Category: Finance
Expert:  CGCPA replied 1 year ago.

At this point a divorce would not make a difference. Assuming, since you do not say, that the debt is from filed joint returns you are obligated for any amount up to the entire tax obligation. However, if you did not file joint returns for the tax periods in question, only your husband is obligated to the tax agency. If that is the case they can place a lien on his 1/2 of the joint property only. They cannot take or lien anything owned only by you. Bank accounts, investment accounts etc follow the same rules.

Nevertheless, you should both seek appropriate assistance (CPA, attorney or Enrolled Agent in submitting an Offer in Compromise. This will enable you to settle the debt for less than full value thereby enabling you to put this behind you in reasonable time. You should pursue this avenue quickly to avoid the costs associated with disputing the debt.