Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I was referred to you by of Pacific Life Insurance Company.

Customer Question

I was referred to you by Jerry of Pacific Life Insurance Company. He said that you may be able to help me locate my deceased Husband's 30-year Annuity. Jim purchased this Annuity while in the Navy stationed at San Diego, CA in 1968 or 1969. After the notice we received in June, 2010, stating that the company was filing Chapter 11, we have had no word from them. My Husband, James F. Black, died November 13, 2010. The Navy won't tell me "who" the company was making auto-deductions to his retirement pay.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

....

Haved you tried making request under FOIA? (Freedom of Information Act)

...

Since 1967, the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) has provided the public the right to request access to records from any federal agency. It is often described as the law that keeps citizens in the know about their government. Federal agencies are required to disclose any information requested under the FOIA unless it falls under one of nine exemptions which protect interests such as personal privacy, national security, and law enforcement.

...

And given that you are the decedent's widow, the privacy exemption would not apply.

...

FOIA Contact: To make a FOIA request to Department of the Navy please send request to:

Robin Patterson

FOIA Contact, Chief of Naval Operations

DNS-36

2000 Navy Pentagon

Washington, DC###-##-####/p>(###) ###-####(Telephone)

(###) ###-####(Fax)

FOIA Requester Service Center: Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

FOIA Public Liaison: Christopher Julka, Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

Website: https://foia.navy.mil

Online Request Form:https://foia.navy.mil/foia/webbas02.nsf/ (vwwebpage)/home.htm?opendocument