Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial and Legal Consultant
Experience:  Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years
43581946

I am a small business owner and was divorced last year and

Customer Question

I am a small business owner and was divorced last year and changed my name back to my maiden name. I am having trouble with the IRS changing my name for my business EIN. I have written 2 letters and no response.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 1 year ago.
Dear Friend,
Hello and welcome. Thank you for providing an opportunity to assist you.
There is no electronic method to do this. You have to do this physically. Type or write a letter, preferably on your company's letterhead, that lists the day's date, your name, taxpayer identification number or social security number, role in the company, EIN, the former name of the business and the business' current name. The principal officer of the company should be the one to write the letter.
You will Write at the address where you filed your return, informing the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) of the name change.
Note: The notification must be signed by the business owner or authorized representative.
I believe you might not have addressed to proper department. Try this and it will certainly work.
Alternatively, since this is the only way to affect the name change, only other thing that you can do is to reach out to your nearest local IRS office. You can locate your nearest office from below link.
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1
I am sure this would help. I wish you good luck.
You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as this is the only way we are compensated for assisting you. Alternatively, you may revert back with a reply if you need further assistance or if I have missed out on any aspect of your question.
Warm Regards