Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I have collections agencies calling about services rom 2012

Customer Question

I have collections agencies calling about services rom 2012 or older, but are just calling me now. It that legal?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
So sorry to have to be the messenger, but yes.
There are actually no laws (this would come from the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act) that prohibit calls completely.
They cannot be after 9:00 pm or be for 8:00 am.
They also cannot provide information to neighbors, family members, or employers that is private (that the owe a debt, etc).
If you'd like to provide me with your state, I can look up the statute of limitations on the time that a creditor can actually collect (get a creditor judgment such as a lien, levy or garnishment).
This varies by state, and by type of debt.
If you can establish that you are past the statute of limitations and they continue to call after that... then you have grounds to, in writing tell them that this is the case and that continuing to call constitutes harassment.... and that you will take legal action unless they harassment stops.
But there are no specific laws that preclude them just from calling in of themselves. Sometimes collections companies will buy the debt for pennies on the dollar YEARS out and call just to see if they can get SOMETHING from those that don't understand the laws.
Please let me know if you have any questions at all...
Lane
If this HAS helped, I would appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen) That’s the ONLY way I'm credited for the work here.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
… just checking back in to see how things are going.
Did my answer help?
Let me know…
Lane