Shawn P Adamo
Shawn P Adamo, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions.
Experience:  CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions.
15641319

I have the section 8 Program. Renting an apartment in a

Customer Question

I have the section 8 Program. Renting an apartment in a community. Past time the rent was $1,421. My portion was $434, the HOUSING AUTORITY'S portion was $987. Now the rent went up to $1,506 (+5.6%). I should pay $519 (+19.5%), the HA portion - $987 (+0%). Is it under rent control? Is it possible to change(decries) my payment? What is your suggestion? Thank you.
Moris XXXXXXX
XXX XXX XXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Category: Finance
Expert:  Shawn P Adamo replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. CPA,PFS,QFP,GMMA.
FYI I have asked our admin to remove your personal information for your protection.
After the first year, owners can request rent increases. The request is sent in writing to you and HAPHousing at least sixty days prior to the effective date. You, as the tenant, must agree to the increase. Rent increase requests are reviewed to make sure it is reasonable. If HAPHousing decides that the request is reasonable, the change is made automatically. If HAPHousing thinks that the increase is too big, the owner has the opportunity to negotiate an acceptable increase.
If the owner won't negotiate the increase and HAPHousing doesn't agree that the increase is reasonable, the owner may decide not to renew your lease, and you will have to find a new home when the lease expires
I can also offer you a telephone call . PLease let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. "After the first year" It means one time or every year?
2. Is it correct to incriese for 19.5%?
3. I paid for only one question. No membershite. OK?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please send a e-mail with your comment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm waiting for answer of my last questions
1. Any time after a year has passed since the rental agreement was signed. Could be a year and a day or 10 moths or 10 years.
2. That sound like an unreasonable increase. HAPhousing needs to approve it anyway.
3. yes just the one question, not a membership
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
You are most welcome