Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial and Legal Consultant
Experience:  Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years
43581946

Exchange of land propertyI am considering the

Customer Question

Exchange of land for income property
I am considering the sale of some vacant land. The property has been used as farm land and I rented a mobile home on it for a short time. I have to own it for 15 years, and a home was on the property for the first five years. The home was demolished due to a land slide, and I received a payment for the "heated space" of the home from FEMA. .
I want to know what I can claim as the basis in this house. My interest payments were not used on my taxes after the house was destroyed. If I build and sell the profit will be about  $1,000,000, and most of this is profit due to the "heated space" purchase. The net sale would be $1,600,000. If I sell just the land, the profit would be about the same, however, it would probably take longer to sell.
My plan would be to buy a rental income property. I would like to pay off all or part of a $600,000 loan because the loan is a “hard money loan."
My questions:
What is qualified for deduction from the sale?
If I do a like kind exchange can I use some of the proceeds to pay off the mortgage?
If I do a like kind exchange for a home can it be a home that has not been an income property?
If I want, eventually to use the owner sale exemption of $500,000 is this possible?
Do you have an alternative suggestion?
Category: Finance
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to the site. I'm PDtax, and saw your questions.
There is a lot here to explain, in both like kind exchanges, principal residence requirements, and planning for the sale of the property.
I can assist, but will ask for a price bump to cover all you ask for.
Accept, and we can work on this tomorrow.
PDtax