Shawn P Adamo
Shawn P Adamo, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions.
Experience:  CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions.
15641319

I had a question related to the CA sales tax exemption for

Customer Question

I had a question related to the CA sales tax exemption for Non Profit organizations (church). I know that my organization in Texas is able to purchase i.e. vehicles for their congregation and they have obtained an exemption where they do not pay sales
tax on the purchase of the vehicle. Does this apply in CALIFORNIA? What form would I need? Thanks.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Shawn P Adamo replied 1 year ago.
Your organization would have to also be registered in California and then obtain a tax exemption certificate. I can explain it better via telephone. Pls let me know and I'll send an offer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. But I am already registered in CA. I am incorporated as a non profit and have been for many years. What process would I need to undertake to get this done? Forms?
A CA state tax exemption for. Are you a 591C3? There will be a lot of back and forth here. That's why a call might help. Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NON profit. 501c3 organization (Church). Federal and State Exemption.
Then all you need is to apply for and receive the tCA sales tax exemption form
I will send you a link
https://www.ftb.ca.gov/businesses/Exempt_organizations/Applying_for_tax-exemption.shtml#Submission_Exempt_Request
This tells you what form to submit
Hopefully I get a great rating!!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I got the link. However, that link is for the exemption that I already have. I was told there is another form that I need in order to get the sales tax exemption
http://www.taxes.ca.gov/exemptbus.shtml#Sales
see publication 52 n specifically for no sales tax on cars by non profits