Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Hi I need help with a question. Finance what is a mutual f

Customer Question

Hi I need help with a question. Finance what is a mutual fund?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.

Lane :

Hi

Lane :

A Mutual fund is essentially a "bucket: of investments

Lane :

The NAME mutual fund fund came from all of the investors having a ?Mutual" objective .... whether it be to invest in stocks, bonds, a blend of things. international stocks, etc

Lane :

Mutual funds have some reporting requirement (relative to tax ) that other investments don't ... for example ... mutual funds have to pay out their dividends and capital gains every year in the form of "mutual fund dividends" ... where am INDIVIDUAL stock or a piece of land, for example will not pay capital gains until it's actually sold

Lane :

OF course ... if the mutual fund is inside an IRA (as with any other investment inside an IRA) the tax doesn't affect the owner/investor until the money is actually distributed from the IRA "shell."

Lane :

Today, there afre mutual fund "families," (companies), such as Vanguard or Fidelit,y who market and manage mutual funds of ALL kinds.... Bond funds, stock funds, money market funds, balanced funds that have both stocks and bonds in them, etc.

Lane :

Make sense?

Lane :

Here's the definition form "Investopedia." : http://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/mutualfund.asp

Lane :

I still don't see you coming into the chat session, so I'll move us to the "Q&A" mode. … Maybe that will help … (We can still continue a dialogue there, just not in real-time chat, as we can here) … Please let me know if you ave ANY questions at all.

Lane :

Let me know ...

Lane :

Lane

Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.

Hi David,

... just checking back in HERE, as I never saw you come into the chat.

PLEASE let me know if you have any questions at all...

If this HAS helped, I would appreciate a feedback rating of 3 (OK) or better (excellent, is ideal ... That's the only I get credit for the work.

But again, let me know...

Lane

Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.
Hi David,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

I gave you Investopedia's definition. Here's another:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_fund

If you'll let me know what you'd like to know specifically, I'd be glad to go deeper on this for you.

If you let me know your purpose here, and maybe I can give you a more tailored answer.

Let me know...

Lane