Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My daughter needs to retain an attorney in New York and does

My daughter needs to retain an attorney in New York and does not have money for the retainer right now. The total retainer is $30,000. I paid this for her using a personal credit card and the charge was processed directly by the law firm. Must this treated as a gift to my daughter from my husband and I for 2013 or can we treat it as a loan (to be repaid from her settlement)?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Megan C :

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to help you

Megan C :

Do you plan on having your daughter pay you back?

Customer:

Yes, ultimately.

Megan C :

If so, you can treat this as a loan and no reporting is necessary

Megan C :

IF she's going to pay you back, then it's a loan.

Megan C :

No need to treat this as a gift

Customer:

Do we need any documents or is the agreement fine.

Megan C :

For that amount of money, I would type up a simple loan agreement, which just states she's to pay you back. You don't have to have a payment schedule

Megan C :

Just so you have it.

Customer:

And...what happens if she loses the case and can't pay back?

Megan C :

When you forgive the debt, then it's a gift. All you do is file the gift tax return (and who knows, by then it might be 15,000 per parent)

Megan C :

But, no gift tax is due unless you have given away more than 5.2 million during your life.

Customer:

Thank you very much.

Megan C :

You're welcome

Megan C :

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Megan C :

If not, please rate positive so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

That's it. Thank you.

Megan C :

You're welcome. The rating feature is located along the bottom of the screen

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level