Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Does an estate

Customer Question

Does an estate need to file form 1099 for payments of prof fees and the personal rep fee?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 2 years ago.

Megan C :

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to help you todya

Megan C :

The answer to your question is yes -the estate needs to file form 1099 for professional fees and personal rep fees paid

Megan C :

The individuals receiving the 1099 will have to include the amounts in their taxable income, which is why the IRS would like this reported.

Megan C :

You can see more in the instructions to the 1099, HERE:

Megan C :

Do you have any further questions? Please respond if you need further assistance. If not, please rate positive so that I can receive credit for assisting you todya

Customer :

I did a little more reading of the form 1099 instructions and guide for trustees and personal reps of estates IRS Pub 5589, I see no reason for the estate to be filing a 1099 since it is not in a trade or business.

Expert:  Megan C replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry, I am having technical difficulties and had to switch the mode of our conversation. I apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Also, I apologize for any inconvenience as well - but you are correct, no 1099 is needed, unless the estate is engaging in a trade or business.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If no further questions, please rate positive so that I may receive credit for assisting you today