Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

can you break a "Single Premium immediate Annuity contract

can you break a "Single Premium immediate Annuity contract?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 4 months ago.

Megan C :

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be happy to help you.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Customer:

fine thank you

Megan C :

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but typically you cannot get out of annuity contracts. Whether or not you can, depends on how the annuity is written up. Each annuity is different, and The Standard has tons of annuities

Megan C :

You would need to contact them and inquire about a "surrender" of the annuity

Megan C :

It's most likely that they will not allow it, and if they do, there will be stiff penalties and surrender charges levied so it will be a very expensive thing to do

Customer:

I read that there would be big penalties but that it can be broken..

Customer:

do you think I need to build a case for it to be broken?

Megan C :

No, if it's allowed to do you do not owe them any explanation for why you are doing so

Megan C :

Simply tell them you want to surrender the investment, and go from there.

Customer:

I only read that online...it says nothing in the contract with them.

Megan C :

You would have to read the fine print of the contract. There should be a section in there about surrender

Customer:

yes I will do that, should i have a lawyer contact them? would it be more effective?

Megan C :

If you want an attorney, I would start with simply having an attorney look over the contract. They should be able to quickly tell you if you can get out or not. If you can, you don't need their help to do so you can do it yourself.

Customer:

there is no section about surrender in the contract and they won't send me the paper where the person I am representing signed it...I also sent them the power of attorney stamped forms

Megan C :

You may have to get an attorney involved then, if they are not cooperating with document requests

Customer:

I did have my attorney look at it and he could not tell anyhting either so he gave it to someone else...

Customer:

I cannot wait anymore

Megan C :

It's likely that they are going to say that you cannot surrender, and so you will need to find in the contract where you can.

Megan C :

It's very hard to get out of these things.

Customer:

but do you think it's better to have a lawyer do it then myself

Customer:

or should i start with myself?

Megan C :

I would start with yourself just because an attorney is an added expense. Give it a week to 10 days, and if you're not getting anywhere, then get an attorney to help you

Customer:

OK thank you

Customer:

I guess there is nothing more to ask

Megan C :

You're welcome

Megan C :

I'm truly sorry I didn't have the answers, but the answers lie in the contract and paperwork. I wish you the best, XXXXX XXXXX hope it all goes well for you

Customer:

have a good day!

Megan C :

If no further questions, please rate positive

Megan C :

so that I may receive credit for assisting you todya

Customer:

I will , thank you!

Megan C :

You're welcome!

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level