Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada , Financial and Legal Consultant
Experience:  Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years
43581946

Hi,I am a director in a property rental company which specialises

I am a director in a property rental company which specialises in short term lets. Effectively we operate a hotel model spread around various properties. This means a lot of moving about waiting on guests for a ' meet and greet' showing them in to their apartment. Constantly travelling between my office and properties prompted me to consider the purchase of a motorhome which could be used as a mobile office for the business. Could this be considered a capital expense and tax deductible ?

tks
Category: Finance
Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 2 years ago.
Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for providing an opportunity to assist you.

YES, a motor home expenses is a capital expenses and it is treated in the following manner.

A motorhome is defined as a "Car". As per the commercial vehicle definition given in the following link, though you cannot claim a 100% tax write off in one year, you will certainly have annual allowances on the reducing balance of cost at 18% for 2012/13 onwards.

References:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim22065.htm

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/helpsheets/hs252.pdf

I am sure this would help.

You may please leave a positive rating if this helps as this is the only way we get compensated for assisting you. Alternatively please feel free to reply back if you need further assistance.

Warm Regards