Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I filed my 2012 taxes using H&R Block. Form 2106 was completed

I filed my 2012 taxes using H&R Block. Form 2106 was completed for my husband's military travel and the tax preparer stated she would amend 2011 taxes to include Form 2106. I have not heard from her. Can I file Form 2106-EZ and amend 2011? We owed taxes that year?

Megan C :

Thanks for your question, and thanks for requesting me directly

Megan C :

Yes, you can file form 2106-EZ and amend 2011 taxes. You do not have to wait for her

Customer:

Is that the only form I will need to complete? The H&R Block software does not allow me to amend anything online since it is upgrading their systems. Do I just fill out the form and do not need to submit a 1040X?

Megan C :

No, you will have to fill out the 1040X in addition to filling out the 2106-EX

Megan C :

EX

Megan C :

EZ

Megan C :

I would wait until you can do it online because it is easier to do with software

Customer:

The software isn't available until February 2014...will that be too late to amend 2011?

Megan C :

You should call the preparer back and see if she will do it. However, 2014 will not be too late to amend.

Customer:

I have called three times in the last 2 months. No response..just getting a bit frustrated since she didn't want to do it when she did our 2011 and 2012 taxes..

Customer:

Thanks for your time. If all else comes to fail, I will seek another tax preparer if needed. Thanks so much for all of your help!

Megan C :

You're welcome. If you would please rate me positive so that I can get credit for assisting you tonight