Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I filed my 2012 taxes using H&R Block. Form 2106 was completed

I filed my 2012 taxes using H&R Block. Form 2106 was completed for my husband's military travel and the tax preparer stated she would amend 2011 taxes to include Form 2106. I have not heard from her. Can I file Form 2106-EZ and amend 2011? We owed taxes that year?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 10 months ago.

Megan C :

Thanks for your question, and thanks for requesting me directly

Megan C :

Yes, you can file form 2106-EZ and amend 2011 taxes. You do not have to wait for her

Customer:

Is that the only form I will need to complete? The H&R Block software does not allow me to amend anything online since it is upgrading their systems. Do I just fill out the form and do not need to submit a 1040X?

Megan C :

No, you will have to fill out the 1040X in addition to filling out the 2106-EX

Megan C :

EX

Megan C :

EZ

Megan C :

I would wait until you can do it online because it is easier to do with software

Customer:

The software isn't available until February 2014...will that be too late to amend 2011?

Megan C :

You should call the preparer back and see if she will do it. However, 2014 will not be too late to amend.

Customer:

I have called three times in the last 2 months. No response..just getting a bit frustrated since she didn't want to do it when she did our 2011 and 2012 taxes..

Customer:

Thanks for your time. If all else comes to fail, I will seek another tax preparer if needed. Thanks so much for all of your help!

Megan C :

You're welcome. If you would please rate me positive so that I can get credit for assisting you tonight

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 10 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.