Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

If I give a personal loan to a corporation, should I have an

If I give a personal loan to a corporation, should I have an interest rate on the note so when the corporation pays me back with interest the IRS won't tax my principal as income?
I will only pay tax on the interest received as ordinary income right?

Now if I do the same to an offshore corporation that I control through a wire transfer from my personal brokerage account to the corporate brokerage account, should I do the same as the example above if the principal is wired back to my personal brokerage account with the interest owed?

Thank you
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 11 months ago.

Megan C :

Hello and welcome. Thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to help you today

Megan C :

How are you doing today?

Megan C :

You should state the interest and receive interest from the corporations and that will be what you are taxed on.

Megan C :

You will never be taxed on the principal of the loan.

Megan C :

Having a loan agreement is the best way to protect yourself.

Customer:

Does this hold true if I own the offshore corporation and I fund the corporation with a personal loan?

Megan C :

Yes, that's true - you are never taxed on the principal amount of the loan. Loan proceeds and repayments of principal are never taxable. You are only taxed on the interest you receive.

Customer:

What is the minimum interest rate that I should charge to satisfly the IRS or does it even matter as long as there is interest on the note?

Megan C :

let me get you the list of rates. You should charge at least the amount that the IRS publishes.

Megan C :

You can go to THIS SITE each month, and get the list of Applicable Federal Rates.

Customer:

I just checked the tables and if I charge 6 or 8% interest I should be fine. Do you agree?

Megan C :

Yes, I agree. The AFRs are very low right now.

Customer:

When making the note ,I will sign my name as the maker of the note. When I put the name of the corporation, will that suffice or do I need to sign also for the corporation? The reason I ask is because a corporation is in itself a legal person or enity. Right?

Megan C :

Right, you will need to sign as the corporation as well.

Customer:

Meaning I sign twice, once as the note maker and second as the owner of the corporation. Right?

Megan C :

That is correct.

Customer:

Mrgan, if for some reason the loan to the corporation goes bad and cannot be repaid. Would I be able to write the loan note off? plus interest?

Megan C :

You could write the loan off as a capital loss, but you would not write off the interest. You can only write off what you have given the company which has not been repaid.

Customer:

OK. If the note is over a year and I had to write it off, would that be considered a long-term capital loss on my personal taxes?

Megan C :

Yes, that would be considered a long term capital loss

Customer:

Thank you Megan for anering my questions, you have been a big help!

Megan C :

I'm so glad. If you would, please rate positive so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 11 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.