Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

We have just started an LLC, its only my Managing Partner and

We have just started an LLC, its only my Managing Partner and myself. Both of us being Managing Partners.
We have had expenses starting or dating back from July 13' this year in which the company was founded, so to support that we loaned the company the money.
We have just received our first client check, receivable. We would like to pay ourselves back for the loans first before we start paying ourselves a salary, for the money we have put into the company. Can we do that this year or should we wait for next year based on filing taxes. Knowing that the company will file and so we will as individuals.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 8 months ago.

Megan C :

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist today

Megan C :

The short answer to your question is, "yes" you can pay yourself back first, if you want. This is completely acceptable.

Customer:

Yes but does effect our current year has pertains to how file our taxes its not a dispersement or income just a payback. And how do we note it on the checks cut to each of us?

Megan C :

The payback is not deductible for tax purposes. You are taxed on the profit of your business only, so you will not be taxed on this money

Megan C :

You would simply write on the check "loan repayment'

Megan C :

Do you have any further questions?

Customer:

Ok, So has it stands we can write the checks to ourselves out of our business account and write loan repayment. When filing anything for 2013 do we disclose with our CPA? we really don't have any thing to file yet because our reusables are still less than what we have loaned the company. So do we even file a return at this point for 2013?

Megan C :

You have to file a return for the LLC, even if you are showing a loss. You should tell your CPA that you loaned the company money and paid it back, so that he/she can know where your money went.

Customer:

Ok. Great. Thank you for your help today.

Megan C :

You're welcome. If you would, please rate me positive so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

Ok. Will do.

Megan C :

Thanks so much

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 8 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your help today Megan. You were very helpful and direct and quick to respond.

Thank you,