Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Hi There! I use my personal vehicle for travel as part of my

Hi There! I use my personal vehicle for travel as part of my start-up LLC business. I keep track of my miles to a client, but I do not want to be reimbursed since I wanted to write-it off as a business expense. How do I track the business expense in Xero without decreasing my bank account? Or do I reimburse myself for reconciliation to work?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 11 months ago.

Megan C :

Hello and welcome. Thanks for your question, and thanks for asking for me.

Customer:

No problem. You have always been so patient and helpful :)

Megan C :

I'm glad to have you back.

Megan C :

This is a tax expense, so you wouldn't have to track it in Xero

Megan C :

You could just input it into your tax return

Customer:

I see, but if I need audited financial statements, would the CPA go off my Schedule C?

Megan C :

They will go against your books, and for GAAP you don't deduct mileage. It's a tax deduction

Customer:

Okay, so the only thing I would enter into Xero are what I invoice my client. My expenses are all down on a business credit card. So I would enter bills charged to the credit card > then payment for the business credit card?

Megan C :

Yes, that is correct.

Customer:

Then of course, my owner's withdrawal to pay myself and that is income I would be taxed on?

Megan C :

Your owner withdrawal will not be tax. Only net income is taxed.

Customer:

Am I taxed for any income that stays in the business account?

Customer:

Net Income = Gross minus Expenses (including mileage)?

Megan C :

Yes, you are taxed on the income your business generates even if you keep it in the bank account

Megan C :

yes, that would be correct

Customer:

Hmm...maybe I'm doing the accounting wrong. I keep 35% of my gross income in the bank account. I estimated 20% is paid to IRS and the state for self-employment/withholding.

Customer:

So the remaining 15% I am taxed on unless I withdraw?

Megan C :

No, you're taxed on all your net income.

Customer:

Oh so what is on Schedule C, then?

Megan C :

Yes, that is correct.

Customer:

the net is taxed at the 20% (or estimated)

Megan C :

Yes, that is correct

Customer:

And if I overpay, do I get that back on my personal return since Schedule C is on my personal?

Megan C :

Yes, you would get a refund of any tax you overpaid

Customer:

Got it. Okay, thanks again for all of your help. And sorry for all of the questions!

Megan C :

No do not apologize for your questions. That's what I'm here for

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 11 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.