Megan C , Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I worked for a company in Texas and resigned last year. I

I worked for a company in Texas and resigned last year. I got a settlement agreement with the company that continued my salary through November 15th, 2013. At that time, I will also receive accrued vacation pay and an additional payment for what would have been my 401K match. I moved to Oklahoma August 1, 2013. Is my salary from August through November and the final additional payments subject to Oklahoma Income Tax. I performed no work in Oklahoma.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 2 years ago.

Megan C :

Hello, and thank you for your question

Megan C :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to help you today

Megan C :

The expert that you requested is not online.

Megan C :

Unfortunately, you are taxed on your worldwide income in Oklahoma, regardless of where you actually performed services

Customer:

I assumed the state income tax was calculated according to the laws of the state in which you were a resident when you earned the income (Texas) and since this severance agreement was for past services in Texas it would not be subject to Oklahoma income tax since it is not a pension.

Megan C :

Tax is calculated on the cash basis, based on when you are paid. If you are paid while you are a resident of a certain state, you will owe tax there for that income unfortunately

Customer:

Thank you for the assistance.

Megan C :

You're welcome

Megan C :

is there anything else I can assist you with today?