Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

Our daughter is living/working in England, but I still help

Our daughter is living/working in England, but I still help her file a US tax return because she has investments and loans here and maintains our address as her US tax address. She is on the UK healthcare system, and has an NHS assigned number over there. If nothing is changed with Obamacare, what does she need to do on her US return to satisfy the requirement of proof of insurance?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 8 months ago.

Megan C :

Thanks for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Megan C :

Your daughter would be exempt from this because she is not lawfully present in the US.

Megan C :

You have to be present in the US in order to be required to have health insurance.

Megan C :

When you file your 2014 return in 2015 there will be a form to attach, and she would just mark on that form that she's not present in the US

Megan C :

You can read about these requirements, HERE

Customer:

She comes to visit frequently.... I know on her forms now she has to specify how long she has spent in the US to qualify for being a foreign resident and having her UK income exempted. Is that the same criteria for
"not present" and not needing to confirm insurance?

Megan C :

Well, she's not lawfully present in the US if she spends less than 183 days per year here.

Customer:

That sounds very similar to the number they use for qualifying to exempt her UK income. Thanks

Megan C :

You're welcome

Megan C :

Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?

Customer:

That should do it.

Megan C :

okay great. If you would, please rate me positively so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 8 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.