Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I install home Audio Video equipment and am based in NY City.

I install home Audio Video equipment and am based in NY City. I have a client in NJ for whom I am doing an install. I do not have a facility in NJ, but will travel out there to do the work and install the product (The sale includes both the product and my labor). Do I need to charge NJ sales tax? NYC sales tax? neither? Thank you!
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 2 years ago.

Megan C :

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com. How are you today?

Megan C :

There would be no NYC tax on this because it is in New Jersey

Customer:

Thank you! What about NJ Tax?

Megan C :

You do not have normal business operations in NJ? This is a temporary one time thing, correct?

Customer:

Correct. I sometimes have projects there, but they are rare. And I have no facility, home or office there.

Megan C :

Okay then you would not have to be collecting tax, but your clients would be responsible to pay the tax themselves

Customer:

OK, thank you! XXXXX just tell them that or do I need to give them some kind of a tax form?

Megan C :

No, you would just tell them. It's the same as if they bought something on Amazon.com

Customer:

Is this essentially what someone would do if they purchased product online from an out of state vendor?

Customer:

you beat me to it.

Customer:

Thank you!

Megan C :

You're welcome!

Megan C :

Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?

Customer:

I'm just trying to figure out how to rate the anser.

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Mark for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me for any of your tax, finance, and social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.