Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

This question is about corporate tax law and transfer of stock/shares.

This question is about corporate tax law and transfer of stock/shares. One of my business partners wants to give me half of his ownership in a corporation (as per an agreement we had). He is currently listed as the owner on the stock. I recently setup an LLC to serve as a holding company for these shares with both of us owning 50% of the LLC. Is there a tax liability on his behalf or on my behalf to have the ownership of those shares transferred to our LLC?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 11 months ago.

Megan C :

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Megan C :

If you are given these shares with no consideration, then it is considered a gift

Megan C :

You are not taxed on the receipt of gifts,

Megan C :

and the person giving the gift is not taxed, unless they have already given away over $5.2 million during their life.

Megan C :

However, they would need to file a gift tax return if the value of the shares was greater than $14,000

Megan C :

Also, transferring an asset into an LLC does not trigger tax, either

Customer: Ok so does transferring the assets to an LLC not trigger the gift issue, so in other words does it bypass the need to file that gift return?
Megan C :

If you are putting shares into your own LLC, there is no tax or gift tax issue

Customer: He would be putting shares into an LLC that I formed and he owns 50% of
Customer: So would that bypass it?
Megan C :

He's still gifted you half the shares

Customer: Right but not directly
Customer: So he would still need to file the form your saying
Megan C :

Yes, but it's still a gift

Megan C :

yEs

Customer: Ok and the $5.2 million is a lifetime number? And is that the par value of the shares?
Megan C :

The $5.2 million is the amount of gifts you can give in a lifetime. I don't know what the par value of the shares would be - that would be in the incorporation documents

Customer: Oh okay, but it is based on the par value correct?
Megan C :

It's based on the fair market value - par value is just arbitrary

Customer: Ah alright thanks for your help I really appreciate it, do you know the form number for the gift?
Megan C :

Yes, it's 709

Megan C :

Is there anything else that I can assist you with today? If not, please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer: Nope and most certainly I will
Megan C :

Thanks so much!

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 11 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.