Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Is a Church who has 501 C 3 status under the umbrella of their

Is a Church who has 501 C 3 status under the umbrella of their area synod required to have a treasurer who sits on the church council in order to maintain their non-profit status?

Megan C :

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Megan C :

How are you doing today?

Megan C :

According to the IRS, To be tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, an organization must be organized and operated exclusively for exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3), and none of its earnings may inure to any private shareholder or individual. In addition, it may not be an action organization, i.e., it may not attempt to influence legislation as a substantial part of its activities and it may not participate in any campaign activity for or against political candidates.

Megan C :

There is nothing that states that you must have a treasurer that sits on church council to remain with your non profit status.

Megan C :

Is there anything else I can assist you with tonight? IF not, please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today