How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Finance
Satisfied Customers: 16576
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Finance Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I have income from partnership in MA and have loss from

This answer was rated:

If I have income from partnership in MA and have loss from rental property in WA, can the loss against income on state return?

Megan C :

Thanks for your question, and thanks for requesting me directly.

Megan C :

If you are a MA resident, you would be taxed on your worldwide income in MA. Therefore, you could take the losses in WA against the income in MA.

Megan C :

However, if you are not a MA resident and are only taxed in MA because you have MA sourced income, you would not be taxed on your worldwide income in MA and would be unable to take the loss from your property in WA against your MA income

Megan C :

Do you have any further questions?

Megan C :

If you have no further questions, please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today



Megan C and 2 other Finance Specialists are ready to help you