Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

My soon to be ex and I are going through a divorce. He is being

My soon to be ex and I are going through a divorce. He is being quite generous but I am slightly concerned he will not be able to afford it instantly. THe reason for this is that say my ex earn $18k gross (about $10k net). and according to the law he has to pay mye $6200 gros. How does this work. I have been told that he pays me the $6200 ($2100 Child support and $4200 spousal) on a monthly basis this will be deducted from his net salary of $10k and that at the end of the year he will get reimbursed. I know that child support is not taxed. If this is the case I cannot see he can survive on only$4k a month until the end of the year. Does this make sense? if not how does payment work.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 9 months ago.

Megan C :

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. How are you today?

Megan C :

I'm not sure that I understand your question. How exactly could we assist you today?

Customer:

I am trying to figure out how spousal support and child support is being paid out of my ex salary. Does it come out of his net salary and then he claims back from IRS or does it get adjusted by his employer

Megan C :

The employer takes it out of his net pay. He will not get that money refunded to him.

Customer:

So if he earns $18k gross (about $10k net). and according to the law he has to pay mye $6200 gross. ($2100 Child support and $4200 spousal) on a monthly basis this will be deducted from his net salary of $10k and that at the end of the year he will get reimbursed by IRS. I know that child support is not taxed. If this is the case I cannot see he can survive on only$4k a month until the end of the year when he gets reimbursed. So it's not that my $6200 is deducted from his $18k gross right but from his net?

Megan C :

Your $6,200 comes from his gross. When he files his taxes, he deducts the portion that he pays you that is considered alimony. He won't pay tax on that

Megan C :

but, he won't get reimbursed for the actual money he is giving you

Customer:

OK but the $6,200 will be taken out by his employer from his gross salary ie the $18k. So does this mean that he will pay taxes on his $11800 gross ($18k - $6,200) then, right? and I will pay taxes on the $6200.. Is the child support taxed by him so if I get $2100 according to the ditto master that he will pay a higher gross amount for this? Could you tell me roughly how much net salary he will get on a MONTHLY basis based on this salary in CA.

Megan C :

He will pay taxes on $13,800 - he deducts the spousal support. He must pay tax on the $2,100 child support

Customer:

So I will not take you accountable for this but on your opinion it would make sense he gets about $7k net per month?

Megan C :

I'm calculating that he will get about $8,100

Megan C :

Of course, if he pays health insurance, etc out of that the amount he get will be lower.

Megan C :

Do you have any further questions about this matter?

Megan C :

Please let me know if you need anything additional.

Megan C :

It looks like we are having trouble in live chat....switching to Q&A

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 9 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Megan C replied 9 months ago.
Isabelle,

Thanks for the opportunity to assist! I see you dropped out of our chat. If you were having trouble, please let me know. IF you need further assistance with this question, please feel free to reply below and I will continue to assist. If you have the information you need, please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.