Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  NASD Licensed Rep, 1997-2001, Business Attorney

Dear Mr. Kaplan, It was the judge who brought this

Dear Mr. Kaplan,
It was the judge who brought this issue to our attention. The problem started when in the year of 2002, someone put the address of our first house on the cover page of a document that is registered with the New York City department of Finance. There is a well known funeral director who owned a lot of property and sold some of it off. The problem he never owned our home and it some how turned up on the cover page of the contract that is on line with the New York City Department of Finance.
Big Question:
I told my dad that we should hire a lawyer and correct the problem. My dad said he will just go to the New York City Agency and have them correct the problem.
Carlotta M Brown

Thank you for your follow-up. Now I understand. It does not hurt to first try to get this resolved via the state agency. My fear and my concern that even with your father making a case for this, the agency may claim it has no power to formally change ownership on title absent a clear mistake. In that case going to court would be a requirement. So far in this case it would be wiser to try to resolve it without counsel but be prepared to hire one since I would place little faith in the bureaucracy.

Hope that clarifies!