Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial and Legal Consultant
Experience:  Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years

I earned $84,945 this financial year, and paid $19,376 in tax,

Customer Question

I earned $84,945 this financial year, and paid $19,376 in tax, which by my calculations in the correct amount paid by my employer. Yet my tax return says I need to pay the ATO $770. Can you tell me why I would owe the ATO when I have paid the correct amount of tax? There is no other income or interest I receive. Thank you
Category: Finance
Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 9 months ago.

Rakhi Vasavada :

Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for providing an opportunity to assist you.

Rakhi Vasavada :

Kindly remain online as I prepare a reply for you.

Rakhi Vasavada :

To begin with as you are aware, the Tax rate applicable to you would be as under:

For taxable income, $80,001 – $180,000 Tax payable would be $17,547 plus 37c for each $1 over $80,000

Rakhi Vasavada :

This precisely calculates to $19,376 and you have paid your tax accurately.

Rakhi Vasavada :

I do not see any reason, especially when you do not receive any other income or interest income.

Rakhi Vasavada :

The only possibility is that -- do you have any past / previous year's penalty / interest due ?

Rakhi Vasavada :

Are you there ?

Rakhi Vasavada :

I certainly feel that the Notice of Assessment that you have received is incorrect. I advice you to first get in touch with them by phone on 13 28 61 for help. Keep your notice of assessment and copy of your tax return in hand. If this does not resolve your problem, the other remedy to this would be to file for dispute.

You have options to seek a review through phone, through the complaint team and other options. Kindly refer:

http://www.ato.gov.au/General/Correct-a-mistake-or-dispute-a-decision/Contact-us-with-your-concerns/?anchor=P95_6789#P95_6789

Rakhi Vasavada :

I hope this helps. You may please leave a positive rating if it helps as that is the only way we get compensated for assisting you. Alternatively please feel free to revert back with a reply if you need further assistance.

Warm Regards

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

thank you for your reply. i have not yet submitted my tax return because i felt that it was not correct. i used the etax to see what my return would be, but was surprised that it was me that had to pay! i will call the tax department as you suggested. thank you.

Dear Joslyn,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for your follow up reply.

I am glad that my reply helped. I am sure there is nothing wrong with your tax return and just establishing contact with ATO should resolve your problem. You tax has been properly calculated and paid for. You will not have any problems with that.

Warm Regards
Experience: Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Rahki,

Sorry, can I please ask, could Medicare have anything to do with why I owe ATO? I am calling ATO today, but just thought I would check, as I notice I have an item automatically rolled into my etax of $1274 for Medicare. Thanks Joslyn

Dear Joslyn,

Hello and welcome again.

No, Medicare should not have anything do with that at all. It might show but it will not have any material and significant impact on anything.

Warm Regard