Megan C , Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Hello, My 85 yr. old Father lives in Ohio. We are considering

My 85 yr. old Father lives in Ohio. We are considering placing him into an Assisted Living facility with a Medicaid bed available. He has limited savings but he does own his own home. To qualify for Medicaid coverage, will Medicaid require my Father to sell his house?

Thanks-you,

Mark Jauss
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 2 years ago.

Megan C :

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer.com

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

I'm so sorry to report, but if your father has no spouse or dependents and moves into a nursing home, his home ceases to be considered his "home" and would have to be sold in order to qualify for Medicaid benefits.

Megan C :

The home is only exempt when it is the "primary place of residence" of a Medicaid recipient.

Megan C :

There are exceptions - if he has a spouse living in the home, then the home does not have to be sold for Medicaid purposes.

Megan C :

You can read more in depth about this, HERE

Megan C :

I am so sorry to report this, and wish I had better news for you.

Customer:

Thank-you. It sounds like the exemptions do not apply to him as he lives alone.

Megan C :

I'm truly sorry.

Megan C :

I know it's a hard time.

Customer:

Thank-you!

Megan C :

You're welcome. If you would, please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Megan C :

The rating feature is located along the bottom of your screen.

Expert:  Megan C replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the opportunity to assist. If you have any further questions, you can reply below. Otherwise, could you please rate my response as "excellent" as that is how I receive credit for assisting you today. Thanks again for being a valued JustAnswer.com customer.