Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I am an independent contractor living and working in CA. I

I am an independent contractor living and working in CA. I make phone calls for a realtor (who is also an independent contractor). He pays me for my work - a flat fee for any deal that closes. I'm thinking of moving to Texas and continuing to work for him (as I mentioned, it is all phone-based). My question is: do you think I'd be subject to CA taxes? I am sure CA would get a copy of 1099s sent to them by the IRS so a CA person paying a TX resident may raise a red flag?

Megan C :

Thanks for your question and thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Megan C :

If you live in texas, and perform all your work in texas, then you do not have a California tax nexus.

Megan C :

If you perform services inside of California, then you must pay tax there.

Megan C :

If all this is done by telecommuting then you would not be subject to California tax

Customer:

OK. Thanks.

Thanks, Harold for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me again! It was a pleasure working with you today