Your Money Now
Your Money Now, Securities Consultant
Experience:  30 years experience in financial services. Banking, investments, mortgages, and retirement accounts. Appear frequently in media.

what type of professional is the best to advise me regarding

what type of professional is the best to advise me regarding making decisions today for retirement in 15 years?

I saw one financial advisor who only seemed interested in talking about my 401(k), but I also have a small pension plan. I do not own a home, but would like to.

I don't even know how I am supposed to use a 401(k) when I retire.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Your Money Now replied 6 months ago.

Your Money Now :

Hi there

Your Money Now :

Well, many things affect your ability to live free from financial burden in retirement.

Your Money Now :

Luckily, you are aiming at retirement in 15 years.

Your Money Now :

This gives you some time to make some long term investment decisions.

Your Money Now :

You kept mentioning "I" so I assume you are single. You may be approx 55 years of age. A 401K is simply a way to say a tax deferred account.

Your Money Now :

Any kind of tax deferred account will deferr taxes, and allow for more compounding and more rapid growth as you await retirement, hence many advisors start off my mentioning 401K's.

Your Money Now :

IRA's, SEPs, and other tax deferred account are essentially just other vehicles that allow you to invest and watch you money grow without being taxed in the investment years. It is hoped that you will be in a lower tax bracket when you finally decide to live off the income in your small pension....and hence wiser to pay the taxes after the compounding growth you've enjoyed.

Your Money Now :

Once you add up what you'd potentially have in a tax deferred account.... with a small pension....and you estimates Soc Sec earnings. a good advisor will pace you on a path that meets your estimated expenses at that time.

Your Money Now :

If your goals include home ownership, that is easy enough to calculate into the equation, but depending on your needs .... renting is not necessarily a bad idea. I would need to ask you more questions to give you better suited advice.

Your Money Now :

I hope this helps.

Customer:

Your Money Now :

a financial advisor

Customer:

Your Money Now :

a financial advisor

Customer:

thank you

Your Money Now :

let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you. gnite.

Your Money Now, Securities Consultant
Experience: 30 years experience in financial services. Banking, investments, mortgages, and retirement accounts. Appear frequently in media.