Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My sister in law who is on medicaid has received a check from

My sister in law who is on medicaid has received a check from an annuity. We were told she can pre pay her funeral expenses, etc. our question is can she use some of this money for perpetual care for her deceased parents.

Megan C :

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

For purposes of Medicaid, you can prepay funeral/burial costs for yourself and some family members. These family members include your parents.

Megan C :

Perpetual care is listed as an allowed expense, so yes - she could spend some of the funds on perpetual care to spend down the assets for Medicaid purposes.

Megan C :

Here's a good resource for that: CLICK HERE

Megan C :

Do you have any further questions about this issue?

Megan C :

If not, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.

JACUSTOMER-mafrc7yo- :

so she can pay for perpetual care for her parents can she prepay funeral expenses for her daughter who is her caretaker

JACUSTOMER-mafrc7yo- :

yes, so she can prepay for perpetual care on her parents graves can she prepay funeral expenses for her daughter who is her caretaker

Megan C :

Yes, she can prepay funeral expenses for her daughter as well and pay for perpetual care for her parents

JACUSTOMER-mafrc7yo- :

yes

Megan C :

Did you have any further questions about this matter?

JACUSTOMER-mafrc7yo- :

yes, so she can use some of the money to pay for perpetual care for her parents graves also, can she use the money to prepay her daughters funeral expenses

Megan C :

Yes, your sister in law can pay for her parents perpetual care, and also pre pay funeral costs for her daughter.

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer