Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I have a music royalty based business operated and owned by

I have a music royalty based business operated and owned by me in NJ. I am now in Florida and want to register my business here but can't find a choice on the form for royalties. What do I choose "Sell products or services at retail (to consumers)?" This is not really accurate but the only thing I could find that makes any sense. Help!
Gary
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 11 months ago.

Megan C :

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Megan C :

How are you today?

Customer:

Good and you

Megan C :

Fine. Which form are you filling out for Florida?

Customer:

I trying to register a business

Megan C :

okay thank you for that information.

Customer:

Florida Business Tax Application (DR-1)

Customer:

https://taxapps3.state.fl.us/Iregistration/BusinessActivityOne.aspx

Megan C :

Have you tried to obtain your NAICS code?

Megan C :

You don't have to do that, but you could if you wanted to list more exactly what you do.

Customer:

I have a Fed EIN

Megan C :

No, the NAICS code is an industry code that identifies what your business does

Megan C :

Your FEIN is just the social security number for your business.

Megan C :

So you have a royalty based business, what exactly do you do in your own words

Customer:

Publishes music

Megan C :

okay let me help you locate your NAICS code. Just a moment.

Customer:

No print, just usage.

Customer:

I can't find it.

Megan C :

So do you print sheet music, or what exactly do you do. We might just have to go with something similar

Megan C :

Music Publishers is 512230

Customer:

I license the use of music to broadcast indusrty

Megan C :

So, I would use Music Publishers with a code of 512230 on your application

Megan C :

Enter 512230 as your primary code on item 19b

Megan C :

and in the description write music publisher

Customer:

If you go to the website of the DOR of Florida there is no option for that catagory

Customer:

Megan C :

I'm looking at the actual DR-1 form

Customer:

ok

Megan C :

This information is to be listed on item 19 a &b

Customer:

I am try to register online

Customer:

trying

Customer:

and yes it's been "trying"

Customer:

:}

Megan C :

I'm looking at the online form now, I was looking at a PDF that you could fill out and mail in

Customer:

ok

Megan C :

Okay ... if you click "no" to every single thing listed on the first page, it will take you to a second page of options

Megan C :

You can hit "no" on everything ... I didn't see anything that matched your business description.

Megan C :

and the last question on the third page asks you if you wish to voluntarily pay electronically and I marked "yes" on that one.

Customer:

yes and result will be "you are not responsible for tax'"

Megan C :

Are you a single member LLC?

Customer:

you must check at least one option to move on.

Megan C :

Or a sole proprietor?

Customer:

C Corp

Megan C :

This registration is for business taxes, such as certain taxes levied on particular industries

Megan C :

You don't have to register to pay income tax.

Customer:

I guess you could say that I am technically selling goods, music, to a show and in term pay usage fees in the form of royalties

Customer:

but they are not really "goods"

Customer:

meant products

Megan C :

You don't need to file this business tax registration, because your type of business is not regulated to have certain business taxes. You simply have income tax, which you don't have to register for.

Customer:

Not my accounts view. He said I needed to register the business. Very confusing.

Megan C :

If you have to choose one of the options, choose the retail option

Customer:

accountants

Megan C :

Either that, or just fill out the form and send it in instead of registering online

Megan C :

because the form lets you put the correct industry information in it

Megan C :

You don't want to choose retail, because then you are subject to sales & use tax, which you are not required to pay on your services

Megan C :

Because all of the things that we went through on the online application, is for sales & use tax and is on part B of the form.

Megan C :

You would answer "no" to all of them. If you answer "yes" to one of them then you are telling the state you are subject to sales & use tax, which you are not

Customer:

That's correct. So is it not possibel to use the online system?

Megan C :

It's not going to let you use it unless you choose one of those options, and that isn't accurate for your business.

Megan C :

Is there anything else I could help you with today?

Customer:

Yes, you mentioned an area on the form?

Megan C :

Item #19 a &b on page 3 is where you describe your business

Customer:

ok thanks

Megan C :

You're welcome. I'm sorry that the online form wasn't working for you.

Megan C :

Do you have any further questions?

Megan C :

If you have no further questions, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 11 months ago.
Gary,

I see that you left our chat. You can still continue to respond to me below, using the reply button. IF you have the information you need, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. Thanks again for being a valued JustAnswer.com customer.
Expert:  Megan C replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer