Megan C , Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Our church gave our Pastor 13K to be put in an annuity for

Our church gave our Pastor 13K to be put in an annuity for him to take with him when he retires in 2-3 years. As the owner the church can take money out whenever it wants. However, there is an 8 year surrender period with this contract. Right now we are in the 2nd year of the contract, so the withdrawal charge is 8%. This diminishes as time passes. The church (owner) can withdraw 10% of the value per contract year with no withdrawal charges. Anything over that 10% (approximately $700) will be assessed the 8% surrender fee. The church, as the owner, is responsible for that fee. We are going to take out 2K to pay for the Pastors sabbatical.

Should I record the value of the annuity on the church books?

Thanks,

Julia
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 2 years ago.

Megan C :

Thanks for your question and thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Megan C :

Yes, you should record the value of the annuity on the church's books, Julia

Megan C :

Then, as your pastor vests, you will write off the cost of the asset as a compensation expense

Megan C :

Do you have any further questions? Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Expert:  Megan C replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer