Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Can a retired person without wages roll over IRA funds that

Can a retired person without wages roll over IRA funds that are not used for RMD ?

Megan C :

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

The answer to your question is "yes" you can roll over an IRA after retirement.

Customer:

As a follow up question, I have a Trad IRA and a 401K. Does the IRS care what funds I pay the RMD as long as the total payed meets the minimum amount?

Megan C :

That is correct

Customer:

Thank you

Megan C :

so long as you are meeting your RMD, it doesn't matter what account it's coming from

Megan C :

You're welcome.

Megan C :

Is there anything else you need assistance with today?

Megan C :

If not, please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Thanks for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me any time you have a question that needs answered. I can help with tax, finance, or social security. IT was a pleasure working with you today. In the future, you can ask for me directly.

Thanks again for being a valued JustAnswer.com customer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am satisfied with your answer. I have a 401K that I will draw down to zero over 20yrs. These monthly payouts now exceed the RMD amount by 40%. Therefore I want to reduce my IRA's RMD yearly distribution by this excess to save taxes. The answer you gave indicates that this is within the IRS rules. Do you need more information?

No, I do not need any more information. Thanks for choosing JustAnswer.com and let me know if you need any additional assistance.

Thanks