Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

I live in NYC, and have a business in NYC. Id like to avoid

I live in NYC, and have a business in NYC. Id like to avoid the NYC 3L. If i move my business to nassau county and live in NY do i still pay the nyc 3L? If so is it avoided if business move and I move to nassau as well? Is there any way to avoid this un fair tax?

Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 7 months ago.

Megan C :

Thanks for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Megan C :

Is your business a separate entity from yourself? That is, do you own a corporation or LLC ...something like that?

Customer:

its a LLC

Customer:

NYC3L is a NYC corp tax that NYC makes us pay

Megan C :

Okay, if it is a separate legal entity (not a sole proprietorship) then you can avoid the tax by moving the business itself

Megan C :

yes, it is ... but if your corp is not in NYC then you would not have to pay it, even if you as an individual still lived there.

Customer:

Would i have to move as well? my last accountant said i would have move also. wanted to confirm

Customer:

ok. thank you for your assistance

Megan C :

Are you taxed as a sole proprietorship?

Customer:

no. as a S corp

Megan C :

That is...do you file a separate corporate tax return for federal and state purposes, or is it located on your schedule c?

Customer:

If i was to make this change now. can i avoid it for 2013, so just for 2014

Megan C :

Ok.Thank you for that information. Our messages crossed paths.

Customer:

or just*

Megan C :

You would avoid it as of the change...so the first part of 2013 you would have to pay it

Customer:

k. thank you. Excellent service.

Megan C :

Can you rate me using the feature at the bottom of the screen?

Customer:

are you an accountant in NY?

Megan C :

Select 5 smileys for excellent service

Customer:

yes i will of course

Megan C :

I am not in NY, but am familiar with the various state taxes.

Customer:

im looking for a new accountant, this is why i ask

Megan C :

and city, in the case of NYC

Customer:

ok. thanks

Megan C :

No, I don't take on private clients from JustAnswer anyways, because it's prohibited by the site

Customer:

ok thanx

Megan C :

We can't use this as a method to find new clients, unfortunately

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 7 months ago.
Thanks, Guy for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In the future you may receive a short survey. Your positive feedback on this survey would be greatly appreciated, as it will assist with the rankings on this site. Thanks again for being a valued JustAnswer.com customer.