Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

A couple hires a 17 year old student to babysit in the afternoon.

A couple hires a 17 year old student to babysit in the afternoon. She will be working 16 hrs per week at 12.00/hr from 9/15/2013 thru 8/1/2014. Does the couple have to get an EIN & file quarterly payroll tax returns along with Schedule H?

Megan C :

Thanks for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com.

Megan C :

Based on the number of hours and the length of time that the sitter is going to work for the family, they will need to get an EIN and withhold taxes from the babysitters pay.

Megan C :

If it were a one-off baby sitter where she came in just whenever needed it would be different, but this sitter has set hours and is working regularly

Megan C :

Form Schedule H will be used with the couple's tax return, and payroll taxes will need to be paid on the pay.

Megan C :

Do you have any further questions about this matter? If not, will you please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Scott,

I see you were unable to join our live chat. If you would, please review my response. If I have answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. Thanks again for being a valued JustAnswer.com customer.