Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I have an S Corporation which I use to generate extra income. My

I have an S Corporation which I use to generate extra income.

My regular W2 income in 2012 was around 116K.

My S Corporation's net income for 2012 is around 27K on a gross of 143K.

I will pay taxes on the combined income at the personal level.

Will I be subjected to recalculation of taxes since the social security limit is $110,100, which is being met by my primary W2 job alone?

What is the least amount of salary should I be paying myself. I do hardly anything in the business.

Thanks
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Megan C :

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. How are you today?

Megan C :

The good news is since you earned over the ss limit at your regular job, your S Corp wages will only be subject to Medicare tax.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the Medicare limit?
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your follow up. You pay Medicare tax on 100% of your income - but it's only 2.9% combined for employer and employee so it's a pretty low tax, and it's only on your wages.

You should pay yourself roughly 60% of your net income...in your case that's $16,200. It's not a hard and fast rule, but typically you see 60/40 split in the profits of an S Corp - 60% wages, 40% other.

Do you have any further questions? If so, please reply below. Otherwise, please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I see that there is no Medicare limit. Medicare gets charged at the personal level? Yes?

Why will they reassess taxes?

Will they reassess the whole net income at the S Corp level to a W2 income?

As I said, I hardly do anything in the business. I have a full time job.

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your follow up. Medicare is charged 1.45% to the employer and 1.45% to the employee.

The IRS would reassess taxes if you did not classify a portion of your profits as wages, because typically in a business you pay self employment tax on 100% of the profit - so using an S corp, they don't want you to side-step all of those extra taxes. The guideline is that you pay yourself a "reasonable' amount -there's no guideline that gives you a specific rule about that amount. The rule of thumb used by professionals is 60/40.

Not 100% of the net income would be reassessed ... only a "reasonable" amount.

Please let me know if you have further questions. If not, please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. Thanks again for being a valued JustAnswer.com customer.
Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So they will first assess the "reasonable" salary and then calculate 1.45% corporate Medicare tax or 2.90% for corporate+personal?

What much interest?
How much penalties?
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your follow up. Yes, they would reassess reasonable salary and then charge the s corp 1.45% for the corporate payroll tax and you 1.45% personally for your portion of the tax. I'm not certain how much penalties and interest you will be charged - the IRS will calculate that when they do all their figures.

Thanks again for being a valued JustAnswer.com customer and have a great day.