Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

The 706-NA has been filed and processed by the IRS. Will they

The 706-NA has been filed and processed by the IRS. Will they send Federal Transfer Certificate automatically, or do we have to formally request the certificate be sent to me. If I have to request the certificate, how do I go about doing this. Where do I send the request?
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Hello! I am a CPA here to assist you with your tax questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I'm truly sorry to hear about your loss.

The "Transfer Certificate" (IRS Form 5173) is received from the Internal Revenue Service. Executors, surviving joint tenants, trust beneficiaries or other persons legally entitled to receive the decedent's assets can request and obtain the Transfer Certificate from the

IRS SB/SE Estate Tax Group 1205,XXXXX, N.E. (UCP-CNN-730), Washington, DCNNN-NN-NNNN U.S.A.; telephone: (202) (NNN) NNN-NNNN fax:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Customers will likely be asked to provide the IRS with copies of the estate tax return and

corroborating documentation. In addition, the IRS will typically require copies of the decedent's last will and testament and codicils thereto, if any, with English translations if appropriate, as well as copies of any death or inheritance tax returns and corrective

statements filed with a tax or regulatory authority outside the U.S., and a copy of the decedent's death certificate.

Form 706-NA is not the formal transfer certificate request. You can make the request by writing the address listed above.

Do you have any further questions about this? If not, please rate my response as "excellent' so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the 706-na was sent to the irs estate tax group in Cincinnati I included the death cert and probate documents with the return so the irs has these the ibm shares are held in my wife,s account by computershare in their instructions they indicate ihave to write to an estate tax group with an address ofXXXXXin Washington dc which is different from your address; so I assume that even though the return has been filed and processed I should request the certificate from the group per the address provided by computershare and include the tax notice I received form Cincinnati as the only additional documentation

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your follow up. You are correct, if you were given a different address by the holder of your shares, that is the address that you should use. You will need to request the transfer certificate from that address and include the tax return as documentation.

Please let me know if you need anything else. If not, please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.