Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

Hello, I would like to know if I owe some back taxes to the

Hello, I would like to know if I owe some back taxes to the IRS, will they prevent me from flying out of the country on a roundtrip ticket from New York to Barbados? I have read articles online stating that if you owe IRS money, you can't leave the country. Can you please clarify this? Thank you.
Category: Finance
Expert:  Megan C replied 10 months ago.

Megan C :

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Customer:

Hello?

Megan C :

There is a grain of truth to this rumor. You see, senate bill 1813 which was proposed back in 2012 would make it such that if you owed the IRS more than $50,000 you would not be able to have a passport

Megan C :

However, to the best of my knowledge that bill has not became a law.

Megan C :

Until that happens, you can fly wherever you want, even if you owe back taxes.

Customer:

Can you please verify this to be a fact?

Megan C :

This is fact, this never became law.

Customer:

Was it the MAP 21 bill?

Customer:

I need to be absolutely sure as I am going on vacation on monday to another country.

Megan C :

Do you have a passport that is not expired?

Megan C :

The law would only prevent you from getting a passport, which would then prevent you from traveling.

Customer:

Yes, it expires in 2015

Megan C :

If you have a passport then you can travel freely. It would be when you go to renew the passport that you may have issues.

Customer:

I see, but you said that bill never became law, so are you saying that it did become law?

Megan C :

No, I'm saying if it did become law, that is what it would be

Customer:

I see, and a $50,000 minimum back tax, I own under 10k

Megan C :

But there is currently no law on the books that would prevent you from traveling

Megan C :

That is correct - only for those who owe more than $50,000

Customer:

Are you a lawyer?

Megan C :

No, I am a CPA.

Customer:

Ok. Can you please tell me what bill this was ?

Megan C :

SB 1814

Megan C :

Make that 1813

Customer:

looks like this bill passed the senate

Megan C :

The articles I all read did not note that they passed.

Megan C :

However, you're only gridlocked if you are applying for or renewing your passport and you owe the IRS more than $50,000

Megan C :

So if you owe $10,000 or less you're good, and you're still good because you have a valid passport.

Megan C :

Okay thanks for that.

Megan C :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Customer:

is says status: Died

Customer:

but it also says, signed by president.

Customer:

this is confusing

Megan C :

Yes, but if you owe less than $50,000 you have nothing to worry about

Customer:

ok, thank you for your assistance.

Megan C :

You're welcome. If you would, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for your positive rating. Please come back and see me any time you have a question that needs answered. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In the future you will receive a short survey. Your positive feedback on that survey would be greatly appreciated as it will assist me with rankings on the site. Thanks again for being a valued JustAnswer.com customer.